In 2006, our UNC Kenan-Flagler Charlotte alumni chapter created the Hugh L. McColl Jr Legacy Award to honor former Bank of America CEO Hugh L. McColl Jr (BSBA ’57) for his many contributions to the city of Charlotte.
Our Triangle and Atlanta alumni chapters built on this tradition by creating similar awards in 2015 to recognize UNC Kenan-Flagler alumni who have made a significant impact in their communities.
2016 Legacy Awards
The Kenan Family Legacy Award is named in honor of the contributions of the Kenan family, whose generosity and support over the years has made such a difference throughout the UNC campus and the entire Triangle region. It recognizes Business School alumni who emulate the Kenans’ dedication to improving these communities.
Hope Holding Bryant (MBA ’90) is the second recipient of the award, which will be presented at the 2016 Triangle Alumni Reception. Her contributions include serving as:
- Vice chairman and corporate sales executive of First Citizens BancShares, Inc. and its First Citizens Bank subsidiary
- President of IronStone Bank, a former BancShares subsidiary that merged with First Citizens Bank
- The first woman chair of the North Carolina Bankers Association
- Member of the President’s Council of the 2014 U.S. Men’s and Women’s Open Golf Championship
The R. Charles Loudermilk Sr. Legacy Award is named in honor of Loudermilk (BSBA ’50), founder of lease-to-own retailer Aaron’s Inc. Loudermilk has been instrumental in much of the progressive business development in Atlanta. His impact extends to the Carolina community, where his generous support established the Loudermilk Center for Excellence – a 150,000 square-foot facility that serves UNC’s nearly 800 student athletes.
Charles S. Ackerman (BSBA ’55), chairman of Ackerman & Co., is the second recipient of the award, which will be presented at the 2016 Atlanta Alumni Reception. His contributions include:
- Establishing one of the Southeast’s most creative, productive full-service real estate firms
- Developing more than 6 million square feet of office, retail and residential projects over the past 40 years
- Excellence in architecture and design, for which he has received numerous awards
- Serving on the UNC Kenan-Flagler Board of Visitors
The Hugh L. McColl Legacy Award is named in honor of McColl (BSBA ’57), former CEO of Bank of America (BoA). After retiring from BoA, he partnered with other Charlotte banking executives to form McColl Partners, an investment banking firm. He also co-founded Falfurrias Capital Partners – a Charlotte-based private equity firm – and founded McColl Garella, an investment banking company serving firms owned by women. McColl has supported a broad range of academic, civic and arts causes for Charlotte, strongly encouraging the city’s urban redevelopment.
The 10th annual award will be presented to Thomas M. Belk Jr. (MBA ’81) at the 2016 Charlotte Alumni Reception. His contributions include serving:
- As chairman and CEO of Belk, Inc., formerly the nation’s largest family owned and operated department store company
- On the boards of Carolinas Healthcare System, The Orvis Company and the National Retail Federation
- As chair of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce and president of the Mecklenburg County Council of the Boy Scouts of America